Friday, October 22, 2010

♥ figure out what you love to do. and then find a way to get paid for it.



when i was younger, i was constantly asked to ponder the question:
"what do i want to be when you grow up?," and while maybe
once upon a time i would have answered "an author,"
"leonardo dicaprio's wife" or the default 5th grade answer:
"a veterinarian," i can honestly say i am just as clueless today about what
i will end up doing with the rest of my life as i was back then.

part of me feels like this burning question is what will keep me searching my
whole life long, and for that reason, i cannot just come up with a cut and dried,
crystal clear answer. because if i answer it, and i know how i will be spending
my endless numbered days, then life would cease to hold the same glimmer
of promise and limitless horizons, and instead everything will be just as it is.
which, to me, sounds like an incredibly dull existence.

i often think that there is something i am meant to be doing that does not
exist yet, which is the reason why there are no schools designed to give me
a degree in whatever that is, and no fast track to becoming it. i am inspired
by those who have been able to do what they love and become successful at it,
like photographer, ryan marshall, who featured his
(read about it here!) on his blog pacing the panic room.

ryan recently pitched the idea for a new photo/ video series, called
"do what you love," to be featured as a web campaign for the new denim
1969 collection for the gap right on his blog. each monday, ryan will feature
fabulous women (dressed in gap denim, of course) who have each managed to
make it in life by following their dreams and doing what was in their heart.
see # 1 (an old friend and yoga instructor) and #2 (his wife, cole, again!) below,
and stay tuned for #3 this monday! i am already in love!

15 ♥ love notes.:

  1. Doing what you love is so important, but sometimes life just has different plans for you!
    x.o.x.o

    ReplyDelete
  2. growing up..i remember telling adults I want to be a teacher..I love kids but I dont think I have the patience to be a teacher though lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. this was a great post. something i need to tell myself... "do what you love"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your timing couldn't be better, as I'm considering looking for a new job (field?) (town?) (life?). I've always told people that my dream job is "professional dog cuddler" which doesn't include cleaning poop. Sadly, this job does not exist yet. And really, could I wear stiletto heels and pretty dresses when rolling about with puppies? sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. aw, this is great. yes, everyone should be able to do what they love! sometimes, it's easier said than done though, especially when you actually have no idea what you want to do yet. but it should work out in the end! :)


    boat ride through the sky

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love that quote - you really need to do what you love or you wont be happy each and every day. just found your blog and love it


    stop by sometime<3
    http://passportglamour.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know why I love coming to your blog again and again. It's because of the collection of all the amazing readings from all over the place about various topics. :)

    Nicole Warne, the photo booth project and now this. I love reading...and will keep coming back is all I can say. :)

    Love from Toronto, Canada

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very inspiring post Sami! I couldn't agree more. Sometimes, we may have to start out doing what we don't love so that we're able to get to that point to be able to do what we love:-). Love the new profile pic too! Happy weekend. XX

    ReplyDelete
  9. very inspiring...been floundering a little lately...love this
    happy weekend to you
    michelle

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those photos are beautiful! I'm loving this new campaign.
    And I hear ya about not knowing what you want to do. I changed my major three times and I think I want to be a writer but there are so many other things I would love to try or I know I would be good at. It's scary knowing that I'm graduating this spring and I'm still clueless!! I just tell myself that everything happens for a reason..it will for you too!!

    -Samantha
    http://sincerelysamantha.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those photos are beautiful! I'm loving this new campaign.
    And I hear ya about not knowing what you want to do. I changed my major three times and I think I want to be a writer but there are so many other things I would love to try or I know I would be good at. It's scary knowing that I'm graduating this spring and I'm still clueless!! I just tell myself that everything happens for a reason..it will for you too!!

    -Samantha
    http://sincerelysamantha.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am afraid I am one of those people who will go through life without ever finding ONE thing that I could do for ever. In a way that is scary but I also think it might be a blessing. Us dreamers may get to experience a lot more than others :) Great blog, I am your newest follower.

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like this campaign! It's kind of empowering. "Do what you love" is one of those things that's really easy to say and is a really nice idea in theory, but I don't think it's actually very helpful advice. I mean, it sounds nice and all. But honestly, work is work. Even if you love your job, it's still work, you know? Maybe this is my Sunday night dread talking but I believe you work to live, not live to work. The trick is to just find something that is fulfilling on some way.

    Sorry for my length...hope this sort of makes sense!
    xoxo, Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  14. thank you for all of your opinions ladies, i have to say that work is something you spend alot of your time doing.. often we are at work more than we are at home, so if we do not love what we are doing, it could be a very boring and very unsatisfying life. i would rather be a dreamer and hope to always be able to do what i love.

    xo
    sami

    ReplyDelete
  15. i love this post! i have a lot of similar feelings swirling inside this head of mine. i know there's the perfect thing for me out there, but i am still searching for it!

    ReplyDelete

♥ tell me how you really feel!