Tuesday, June 29, 2010

♥ it feels like home to me.

the other day my friend mercedes sent me this fabulous article from
the ny times about a woman named sandra foster who has painstakingly
transformed a hunting cabin in the catskills into her very own lifesize
victorian gingerbread house. scouring antique stores and craigslist, sandra
found salvaged items like her chipped green front door and the columns that hold
up the roof of the front porch (which replace the tree trunks that
once held it up).

the interior is romantic and shabby chic, decorated on a dime
with hand made paper flowers, recovered books, flowing draperies,
crystal chandeliers, candles and lots of love.

although it is only a studio and cannot be lived in (due to the fact
that there is no heat, kitchen or bathroom), sandra says that when
she and her husband purchased the property where their trailer
and this out of the way cottage lies
"it was like coming home. i get tears in my eyes thinking about it.
it was everything i had dreamed of, in every novel i read,
every song i heard."

if you are interested in reading more about ms. foster's renovations
and her life in the catskills, read her blog, my shabby streamside studio,
where she shares everything from her her maltese pups' birthday celebrations,
to do it yourself projects and all of the interiors that inspired her
adorable little cottage. not to mention some close ups of all
the beautiful details that make her little cabin feel like
home sweet home.

2 ♥ love notes.:

  1. yea! and i feel special my name got in there too! perfect place for summer though i thought, sleep in a bed and still feel like camping. like glorious 5 start camping or something

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! A Wheatie!

    Your blog & store look great - I'm following.

    Thank you so much for your kind comments on my blog!

    Tootles,

    Sandy @ My Shabby Streamside Studio
    http://myshabbystreamsidestudio.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

♥ tell me how you really feel!