i love me some good pesto--
but pine nuts are too expensive to
justify making it from scratch.
which is why i must share with you
this fabulous recipe for edamame pesto-
which is packed with five times the fiber
and one-fifth the fat of regular pesto,
and an equally delicious flavor!
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 cup of packed basil leaves
1 package of frozen, shelled edamame-thawed
1/2 cup of vegetable broth
2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 teaspoon of olive oil
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1) place the garlic and basil in a food processor and pulse a few times.
2) add the remaining ingredients and blend until relatively smooth.
3) add a little more vegetable broth if it seems to stiff and set aside.
add the pesto to the following:
1 package of linguine
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 small red onion, sliced thinly
1/2 pound of mushrooms, sliced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 teaspoon of thyme
extra chopped fresh basil
1) put on a pot of salted water to boil. cook pasta and drain.
2) saute the onion in oil for about 5 minutes. add mushrooms, garlic and thyme.
3) cover the pot and cook for 5 more minutes.
4) add pasta to the pan and then add pesto.
5) garnish with chopped basil.