the snow has been falling-
-weekend after weekend-
with no end in sight.
and while i have been grumbling and
complaining to anyone who'll listen,
i think it best to share with you
a hearty recipe that will help you forget
(maybe for a second) how utterly cold &
this winter has been.
chickpea stew with pesto
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
4 stalks of celery, thinly sliced
salt & pepper
5 sprigs of oregano (or a dash of dry oregano)
3 tablespoons of tomato paste
6 cups of vegetable broth
2 cans of chickpeas, drained & rinsed
3 thick slices of rustic bread, chopped up
1/4 cup of basil pesto, for serving
1) in a large pot, heat oil over medium high.
2) add onion and celery, season with salt & pepper, cook until golden 10 minutes.
3) add oregano and tomato paste and cook, stirring until fragrant, 1 minute.
4) stir in broth and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook
until onion is tender, 5 minutes.
5) add chickpeas and bread and simmer until thickened 6-8 minutes.
6) season with salt & pepper and serve topped with pesto.
7) take off your warm woolen mittens & enjoy!